Friday, November 18, 2016

Fantasy Character Workshop #002

William O'Connor

Working as a fantasy illustrator for over twenty years I have created hundreds (maybe thousands) of fantasy characters.  When I was a student I would draw the characters of all the players in my gaming group.  later working for various games I would be commissioned to illustrate and design characters from stories.  As an artist many of these commissions became derivative to the point of becoming boring (Dwarf Fighter with an Axe, Elf Ranger with a Bow, etc.)  so I strove to change things up and make sure that I was always coming up with new combinations.  I created my Random Character Generator. (attached below).  This was based upon the appendixes that were listed in the back of the D&D Dungeon Master's Guide when I was a kid.  I started using this generator routinely, and still employ it when creating characters and when teaching character design to students.

This series is intended to use my generator to create characters on a regular basis to share the process with you.  I will try to be as faithful as possible to the attributes that are created, as the series is meant to challenge my skills, and make the characters as difficult as possible.

Enjoy
WOC


______________________________________________________________

Fantasy Character Workshop #002

Race: Dragonoid
Class: Fighter
Gender: M
Armor: Scalemail
Handedness: Single Weapon/Shield
Weapons: mace/shield
Missile: crossbow
Equipment: bracelet, sewing kit, food, paintbrush
Motiff: feathers

A fun challenge to do a dragon-man!  I like these guys because I love dragons, and I helped design the Dragonborn race in D&D 4th edition.  Usually depicted as brutish characters I kept with this steryotype making his costume seem cobbled together out of pieces and bits.  The scale armor helps  enhance the dragon aesthetic, but that was sheer luck of the generator.  I made the shield have a sharp, spiked silhouette that also should help enforce the dragon-esque look.  The details of the small sewing kit with scissors and the paintbrush on his belt are just fun- maybe he's an artist!, while the feather motif lent to a tribal necklace of feathers and bird skull.  All in all, an useful character that can bash skulls and mend socks.

Enjoy.

WOC















1 comment:

  1. Wow Nice idea!
    Great alternative to get out of the stereotypes! I'll generate some characters to draw.

    ReplyDelete